неділя, 4 листопада 2007 р.

Lesia Ukrainka - my childhood!

This poem was written by Ukranian autor Lesia Ukrainka. It is full of strength and hope, and it is particularly impressive since it was written by a very young woman after she was told that she had an untreatable bone tuberculosis, so her life won't be long, and she may not be able to walk, play piano or even write.
She is a Ukranian romantic classic.

Contra spem spero (Hope against hope)


Hence, dark thoughts! Away, ye autumn mists!
Golden spring is here, she's here today!
Should my days of youth be spent in woe,
Drearily and sadly pass away?
Nay, through all my tears, I still will smile,
Sing my songs through troubles round me loom;
Hopeless, still hope on against all odds,
I will live! Away, ye thoughts of gloom!
On this hard and ingrate soil I'll sow
Flowers that shall bloom with colors rare;
Flowers will I plant where frost doth reign,
Water them with many a bitter tear.
And these burning tears will soften then
All that ground so crusted, chill, malign,
Flowers, then perhaps, will bloom and bring
Joyous spring e'en to this heart of mine.
Though the mountain side be rough and steep,
Onward will I bear the ponderous stone;
Struggling upwards 'neath the crushing load,
Still will I my joyous song intone.
Through the long, dark night inscrutable
Never will I close my wearied eyes,
Searching ever for guiding start -
Radiant empress of the midnight skies.
Yes, through all my tears, I still will smile,
Sing my songs through troubles round me loom;
Hopeless, still hope on against all odds,
I will live! Away, ye thoughts of gloom!




Немає коментарів: